Attorney Profile: Barry has been a criminal defense attorney since 1985 and practices in both State and Federal Courts. Barry was an Assistant Public Defender from 1985-1994 and in Private Practice ever since. Barry has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science from Florida State University and a Master’s Degree in American Government and Politics from Florida State University. Barry has his Juris Doctor Law Degree from Shephard Broad Law Center at Nova Southeastern University in 1984. Barry was the Secretary for the Broward Association of Criminal Defense Attorney’s(BACDL) for over twenty years.
Community Involvement: Barry has lived in Broward County since 1976 and was involved with the Jewish Federation of Fort Lauderdale. Barry has been a judge at Nova law school for student competitions. Barry has been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union in Florida(ACLU) since 1982 and is a former President of the Broward Chapter and is the current Co-legal panel chair of the Broward Chapter. Barry was formerly on the State Board of Directors for the ACLU of Florida. Barry is a volunteer and participates in legal redress for the Fort Lauderdale Chapter of the NAACP for almost Ten(10) years.
Trial Experience: Barry has had one hundred and Fifty-Seven(157) jury trials in his career including Felonies and Misdemeanors of all kinds. Barry has participated in Five(5) Penalty Phase Cases Homicide case and None of those clients received the Death Penalty.
Achievements: Barry was on the Dean’s List Twice at Florida State University the Fall Quarter of 1978 and the Spring Quarter of 1979. Barry attended the National Criminal Defense College in Macon, Georgia in 1993.
Accomplishments: 2009 Hat Trick Award from the Broward Association of Criminal Defense Attorney’s for having three Not Guilty verdicts in a row.
- Born in the Bronx, New York and moved to Florida in 1976
- Graduated from Florida State University in 1979 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science
- Graduated from Florida State University in 1980 with a Master’s Degree in American Government and Politics
- Graduated from Shepard Broad Law School at Nova Southeastern University in 1984
- Member of the Florida Bar since April 15th, 1985
- Member of the United States Southern District since April 24th, 1995
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals at the Eleventh Circuit since March 16th, 2000
- Worked in the Broward County Public Defender’s Office from 1985-1994
- In Private Practice as a Private Attorney since 1994 concentrating in criminal defense
- Former Member of both the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (FACDL) and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (NACDL) for many years.
- Former Chapter Chair of the Broward County American Civil Liberties Union from 1997-2003
- State Board Member of the Florida Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union from 1995-2003
- Co-Legal Panel Chair of the Broward ACLU from 2003 to the present and litigated Two(2) free speech cases for the Chapter
- Former Secretary of the Broward Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association for Twenty(20) years
- Completed the National Criminal Defense College in 1993
- Completed One hundred and fifty-five(157) jury trials
- Quoted in City Link, New Times, all three South Florida newspapers, appeared on the Today Show, MSMBC, Fox News Channel(Hannity and Combs) and all the local networks about civil liberties issues and criminal defense cases.